Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Smoking Crack Whilst Jumping on a Trampoline: Things I'm Looking Forward to Post Nursing

Pregnancy can read as a list of things you are not supposed to do.  As soon as I got pregnant, I put away the good face creams, the Tylenol, the booze.  Everything was googled before it was applied or ingested.  Little did I realize, I wasn't in for a mere 9 months of this.  The life modifications would last the entire duration of the pregnancy PLUS whatever time I spent nursing my little one.

Now that I am going to be done lactating in the foreseeable future (which I am still having mixed feelings about), I am very much looking forward to all the things I'll be able to do again.  When we first got pregnant at practically the same time, Natty and I were talking about the ways our life had immediately changed.  She lamented that there would be no more smoking crack while jumping on a trampoline in our immediate future, but now I might JUST BECAUSE I CAN! 

Bye-Bye Breastpads  - Not only will I be saying goodbye to breastpads, I will be saying hello to my normal, cuter bras.  What a joy it will be to have more than 3 options and to not have to worry about where we are in the laundry cycle to make sure I have a clean one ready.  Also, I don't know if it's just me, but while nursing I have not felt comfortable enough to go braless, even in my sleep, so that is another major plus!

Overindulging - I would be lying if I said there haven't been times that I have had one too many during the duration that I have been nursing, in which case I have pumped and dumped.  However, now I will be able to come home from a date night or evening out without paying my 30 minute toll to the milk gods before I can go to bed.



Teeth Whitening Strips - There are differing opinions on whether or not teeth bleaching agents are safe during pregnancy and during breastfeeding, but I decided to play it safe.  Because of this, my pearly whites are now pearly yellows (thanks a lot, black tea and light skin).  I have had great success with Crest White Strips in the past and am now happy to have the green light to use them again.

Cori, Untethered - There will be no more scheduling around the pump, no more midday pit stops, no more toting around a bowling ball bag full of milking equipment.  I can sleep in without feeling like I have two water balloons on my chest, filled to the brink, ready to burst at any moment.  It will be glorious.

Retin-A -  It seems like every older woman with great skin has this same secret weapon in her arsenal.  Retin-A helps with both fine lines and wrinkles.  I happen to have worse skin on both fronts since childbirth, so I'm very excited about slathering this cream on to help.

Perhaps I'm using this post as a way to make myself feel better about being nearly done with nursing (definitely within several months)?  It's good and bad and happy and sad, but I can feel it deep down inside of me that Everett and I are about to move on together.   But it's good in more ways than one.

1 comment:

  1. I love nursing but there is so much I am looking forward to after weaning! This is an awesome list and I say amen to pretty much all of them. For tooth whitening, have you tried one of those whitening rinses before brushing? My teeth look awesome when I am religious about those and the main ingredient is hydrogen peroxide, which I think is okay while nursing (I confess that I have not looked into it.) I think you can also use Retin-A's little sister retinol while nursing. Not as good, but pretty good!

    I can't WAIT to be able to wear non-nursing clothes. Everything I wear has to have e-z access to tits and it's so tough to get dressed in the morning. My entire wardrobe can be washed in one washer load! It sucks!

    ReplyDelete