Friday, December 21, 2012

I Don't Want to Throw Your Kid's Face Away


Having a kid means getting your act together in a lot of little ways. You drink a little less, do laundry a little more, keep the heat a little higher, and the volume of your music a little lower. And you send out cards with pictures of your kid on them.

When Patrick and I first married, I really wanted to start sending out cards that first year, like real live grown-ups, but I didn't. I wish I had-- it would be so nice to have a neat little archive of those years-- but I didn't. Now we're in on the exchange and I'm pleased to see new cards in our mailbox everyday but I'm also puzzled-- what should I do with all these pictures of family and friends once the holiday is over? It feels wrong to just throw them in the trash.

So I put the question to you: what do you do with the photos and cards people send you each year?

3 comments:

  1. I usually save my cards til the next year and recycle some into gift tags. If the photo has the parent in it, I might take a pic of it with my phone and use it as my contact picture for them. Other than that, they get discarded or recycled - I know some people make little albums. Note that cards printed on photo paper aren't recyclable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that as soon as January 1 rolls around, they are all trashed. I'm not a big saver of things, so I enjoy it while it's up and then onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to come up with something clever, I swear it.

    ReplyDelete